Thursday, December 6, 2018

Stress And Representation

Hey blog readers! So right now I am about to go to the chorus concert. I’m really excited, but I know it’s going to be super stressful… DEEP BREATHS :) But before I go I wanted to talk a little about representation.


In my film opening I really want to portray a story that can touch the audience. My goal is to evoke emotions within the audience so that they either want to make a change within themselves or they appreciate whatever the film is about more. I plan on doing this through the use of representation. Something that I thought about making my film about was how technology is used for bad reasons by teens. More specifically, cyber bullying.


The theme of cyber bullying would obviously fall under the genre of drama. This issue is represented through many media platforms such as movies and tv shows. In the movie, “Cyber Bully”, starring the well-known, Emily Osment, the main character undergoes a generous amount of cyber bullying to the point where she attempts to take her own life. When she fails at this, her friend and mother find her and they try to help make the situation better for her. I feel that this film is represented well as it portrays cyber bullying as a bad choice that can cause victims of it to go to drastic measures to make it end. On the contrary, the Netflix Original, “13 Reasons Why”, also discusses the topic of bullying and touches cyber bullying in a much different way. The main character in this show is a girl named Hannah, who has already taken her own life due to bullying. She serves as the narrator of the show through the use of tape recordings she left explains the 13 reasons why she did what she did. Some people find that this tv show romanticizes teen suicide, but I personally believe it tells the story of a young girl who was pushed to do something drastic because her peers did not handle situations correctly.


These two examples of media both discuss the matter of cyber bullying by making their target audience teens. Since both media’s are about teens, this causes teens to be more drawn to them. I think using teens as the choice audience is a smart choice and when making my film I would definitely do the same. Even though some people do not agree with how 13 reasons why was conveyed, I really enjoyed the way in which they represented bullying and I would like to come up with way similar to this if I chose this topic for my film.


Until next time,

Shelby 😊🎤📽

No comments:

Post a Comment